1 Day Mount Kinabalu Fast Track – Non Summit Hike
Full day excursion to Mount Kinabalu from Mesilau to Layang-Layang, approximately 2,740m above sea level on the East Ridge of Mount Kinabalu before heading down to Timpohon Gate. This is a hiking trip on Mount Kinabalu, you will not ascent to the summit of Low’s Peak.
The Mesilau trail is one of 2 summit routes to Mount Kinabalu, and starts from the Mesilau Nature Resort. The Mesilau intersects the old Kinabalu Summit Trail just above Layang-Layang.
Day Trip: Hiking On The Mesilau Trail To Layang-Layang
05:15hr – Pickup from your hotel lobby and depart on a 3hrs journey to Mesilau Nature Resort. Collect your packed lunch.
MESILAU NATURE RESORT
09:00hr – Proceed to the Sabah Park OPS Room to register for the climb. Our guide will arrange for all necessary registrations, assign you a mountain guide and apply for your ID TAG. Please Wear it all the times.
Transfer to the Mesilau Gate where your hike begins. Commence climb to Timpohon Gate via the Mesilau and Timpohon Trail.
The trek will pass by conifers, climbing bamboos, superb Agathis trees that grow and near the ridge crest. At about
2,000m, the forest becomes stunted, with rocks, tangled tree roots, covered in spongy mosses and liverworts. There are many delicate orchids and beautiful orange-coloured Rhododendrons found along the trail.
After approximately 5 to 6 hours climb, you will arrive at Layang-Layang (Place of Swallows), where the scenic
Mesilau Trail meets the Timpohon Trail at 2,740m.
DESCEND TO TIMPOHON GATE
You will take another 2 – 3 hours to descend from Layang-Layang to Timpohon Gate.
The Timpohon trail will take you through mossy forest of mixed bamboos and tree ferns, Borneo’s most unusual
pitcher plants, waterfall and even squirrels, tree shrews and birds that seem so unafraid of climbers.
Arrive at Timpohon Gate and transfer to Kinabalu Park.
TIMPOHON GATE/KINABALU PARK HQ
Descend to Timpohon Gate and ride back to Park HQ to collect your Certificate of Achievement.
16:30hr – Transfer to Kota Kinabalu City. Journey takes approx 2 hrs.
Mount Kinabalu 1 Day Fast Track Travel Arrangements
- Our friendly guide will greet and meet you at the Airport arrival hall or your Hotel lobby with a placard bearing your good name. Should you encounter difficulties in locating our guide, you can call our local ground handler who will assist you.
- We do not recommend you fly on the same day that you descend the mountain due to possible delay from injuries, tiredness and/or bad weather and traffic conditions.
- Our transport will pick you up from your Hotel between 05:00hr – 05:15hr. Arrange with your hotel for early breakfast.
- Add RM30 nett per person per way for transport to/from locations outside Kota Kinabalu city (e.g. Beringgis Beach Resort/Langkah Syabas Beach Resort/Papar/Kinarut Area).
- All transportation is based on Seat-In-Coach. This is a transfer service in which clients share their vehicle with other clients. This is a door-to-door service with multiple pickups & drop-offs throughout the journey. Do expect some waiting time.
- After descending to Kinabalu Park HQ, climbers are subject to pre-determined pickup time set by Amazing Borneo Tours with the last transport returning to Kota Kinabalu city latest by 18:00hrs. We will ensure your possible wait of not more than 2 hours at Park HQ. However, if you missed the last transport (which is unlikely) or wish to depart at your own preferred timing, we can arrange a vehicle for private transfer for you (Subject to availability). Please understand that the surcharge for any private transfer will have to be borne by you.
- Private Transfer Surcharge:- RM 250/vehicle/one way
- Our group rates are quoted without deviation, which means we provide only one return transfers for your group. If your group requires more than one return transfers, additional transfer charges may apply.
- Waterproof backpack to store your items
- Trekking or running shoe with good grip
- Small towel
- Disposable raincoats
- Refillable water bottle (0.5 – 1 Litre)
- High energy food such as chocolates, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars
Extras You Might Wish To Bring:
- Medication such as headache tablets or altitude sickness tablets
- Tissue paper/Toilet roll
- Sun block lotion, lip balm, plasters
- Insect repellent
- Camera with water-proof bag
- Plastic bags
- Extra shirt or T-shirt
It is recommended that all climbers should have themselves medically checked before attempting any mountain climb. If you have a history of suffering from the following ailments, it is highly recommend that you should refrain from climbing: Hypertension, Diabetes, Palpitation, Arthritis, Heart disease, severe anemia, Peptic ulcers, Epileptic fits, Obesity (overweight), Chronic asthma, Muscular cramps, Hepatitis (jaundice); or any other disease which may hamper the climber.
Sabah Park Rescue Rangers have the final say on a situation should the summit climb (Laban Rata – Low’s Peak) be cancelled due to bad weather or safety reasons, such refund will not be eligible.
*Rate above is quoted in MYR (Ringgit Malaysia) and does not include the Goods and Service Tax of 6% (GST). Tax will be implemented in the official issued tax invoice.